Taking an online vision test is an excellent way to get a general idea of your vision. Online tests can assess for both close up and distance vision as well as screen for colour blindness, astigmatism, and light sensitivity. In order to take an online vision test you will need to find an online test, set up your computer so that you are seated an appropriate distance from the screen, and carefully follow all of the instructions provided. Online vision tests should not replace regular visits to your optometrist or ophthalmologist.
EditSetting Up to Take an Online Vision Test
- Search for an online vision test. In order to find a vision test online, you will need to complete a Google search. Search for “online vision test” and look through the results. The majority of vision tests available online are provided by companies that sell contact lenses and eye glass frames.
- In some cases you will be asked to create an account or provide your email address prior to taking an online vision test.
- Choose a test. There are a variety of different vision tests available online. For example, you can test your colour vision, visual acuity, light sensitivity, near vision, as well as test for astigmatism. If you are having trouble reading or seeing images on the television, you should test your visual acuity, light sensitivity and near vision. If you are concerned that you may have some form of colourblindness, you should test your colour vision. Determine which test makes sense for your particular situation.
- Ensure you are the proper distance from the screen. Once you have decided on a test you will need to read and follow all of the setup instructions provided. For example, the test will likely ask you to sit anywhere from 40 centimeters (16 inches) to one meter (three feet) from the computer screen.
- Situate your computer on your desk and then move your chair so that you are the appropriate distance from the screen.
- You can measure the distance using measuring tape or a ruler.
- Use a wireless mouse. You will also be required to click on certain images while taking the test, so it is probably best to use a wireless mouse. You can purchase a wireless mouse at any computer supply store and they cost anywhere from $40 to $500.
EditCompleting an Online Vision Test
- Follow the instructions. It is important that you carefully follow all of the instructions provided in order to receive accurate results. For example, during the test you will likely be asked to cover one of your eyes with your hand and then answer a variety of questions. You will then be asked to cover your other eye and answer another set of questions. This is done in order to test the vision in each of your eyes.
- You may be asked to leave your glasses on if you already wear glasses to help with your vision.
- Test your visual acuity. When taking a visual acuity test, an “E” will appear on your screen and you will be asked to select the arrow that the open side of the “E” is facing. The “E” will rotate and change sizes as you complete the test.
- Depending on the website you are using you may be asked to cover one eye and take the test and then repeat the questions with your other eye covered.
- Take a contrast vision test. An online vision test that looks at your ability to see contrast can also help determine if you need corrective lenses. To complete this test, a “C” will appear on your screen and you will be asked to select the arrow that the open side of the “C” is facing. As you complete the test the “C” will rotate and the darkness of the letter will change.
- For example, in some instances the letter will be very dark and easy to read and at other points it will be so light that it will become difficult to see against the white background.
- Try a colour vision test. A colour vision test will check to see if you can distinguish different colour contrasts, most notably red, green, and blue. These tests vary slightly, but in most cases a circle will appear that is filled with different coloured circles. You will then be asked to read the number that is hidden inside the circle. If you are not colour blind you should be able to see the numbers easily based on the contrasting colours.
- Take a test that measures astigmatism. An online astigmatism test will ask you to cover one eye and look at a series of lines. You will be asked if some of the lines appear darker than others. Then you will then be asked to cover your other eye and determine if some of the lines are darker than others.
- You should only see darker colours with one of your eyes, not both. If this happens you may have astigmatism and should talk with your eye doctor.
- Read your results. At the end of each test you will be given your results. You may receive excellent results for each test. This indicates that your vision is good and you likely do not need glasses. For some tests, you may receive a poor result. When this happens the site will recommend that you see an eye care professional in order to receive a full eye exam.
- Some sites will only provide you with results after you have provided your email address and name.
EditVisiting an Eyecare Professional
- Find an optometrist or opthamologist. Search online for an optometrist or opthamologist in your area. An optometrist is trained to detect a number of eye diseases and can help prescribe corrective lenses. An ophthalmologist can perform eye surgery as well as detect eye diseases, prescribe medication, and prescribe corrective lenses.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly. Do not replace regular visits to the optometrist with online vision tests. These tests should only be used to give you a general understanding of your quality of vision. A trained optometrist can give you a prescription for corrective lenses and can diagnose eye diseases such as glaucoma and cataracts.
- School aged children should have their eyes tested every one to two years.
- Adults between the ages of 20 and 40 should have their eyes tested once every five to ten years.
- Adults between the ages of 40 and 55 should have their eyes tested every two to four years.
- Adults between the ages of 55 and 65 should have their eyes tested every one to three years.
- Adults over the age of 65 should have their eyes tested every 1-2 years.
- Complete a full eye exam. An eye examination, unlike an online vision tests, looks at more than just your vision. For instance an eye exam also evaluates your ocular motility, visual fields, eye structure, and screens for eye diseases such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- Even though an online vision test can give you a general understanding of your quality of vision, you should still see an actual eye doctor on a regular basis.
- Vision tests can not screen for degenerative eye conditions or diseases.