Wearing lipstick can be a bold statement, and wearing orange lipstick is even bolder. Don’t limit yourself to the typical nude, pink, and red shades. Anyone can pull off orange lipstick – it’s just a matter of choosing the right shade and applying it perfectly. With a few useful pointers, you can rock orange lipstick like the bold, statement-maker you are.
EditSelecting Your Lipstick
- Consider the different shades of orange. You can purchase a lipstick in a true, bright orange shade, but there are plenty of other shades to choose from. There are true orange lipsticks, electric neon shades, pinkish oranges, and burnt orange colors with more red tones. There is a hue of orange lipstick on the market for everyone.
- Choose a shade that complements your skin tone. A bright orange will work best for anyone with light skin tone. Neon oranges are best suited for people with golden complexions (or anyone wearing bronzer!). Pure oranges look great on blondes, in particular. People with darker skin look great in red-orange shades. This versatile shade looks good on most skin tones, however.
- Pick a matte lip product. Glosses and shimmery lipsticks are great, but intense colors like orange work best in matte. The bright color will already catch eyes, so you don’t need to add any shine. Additionally, glossy products will not stay on or remain as opaque as a matte lipstick.
- Work your way up to brighter or more opaque shades. Dark, matte orange lipstick can be a daunting look to pull off. If you like the orange hues, you don’t need to start with a matte lipstick right out of the gate. Instead, why not try using a less intense lip stain? If you already have a great matte lipstick, try dabbing it on lightly with your fingertip. Once you get used to the idea of orange lips, you can build up the color and apply it more daringly.
EditApplying Your Lipstick
- Exfoliate and moisturize your lips. Matte lipsticks look best on smooth, hydrated lips. Before applying your lipstick, it’s a good idea to give them an exfoliating scrub to remove any flaky, dead skin. You can purchase a lip scrub at your local beauty supply store, or you can make one yourself. After you’ve exfoliated your lips, apply a very light layer of lip balm to give them some moisture.
- Rub the lip scrub into your lips using your fingertips, a washcloth, or an old toothbrush. Make sure you scrub all areas of your lips.
- Wash the lip scrub off your lips with warm water.
- Apply a matching lip liner. It’s important to perfect the shape of your lips with lip liner before applying your orange lipstick. The lipstick is difficult to remove from skin, so you want to set yourself up for success by outlining first with liner. This will also help prevent the lipstick from smudging outside the border of your lips later on.
- Begin lining at your cupid’s bow, and then carefully trace your top lip to the outer corners of your mouth.
- Trace the center of your bottom lip, so that you create a small line. Once you’ve lined the center, bring your liner outwards to the outer corners again.
- If you want, you can fill your entire lips in with liner at this point. This will create a base for your lipstick and can help it last all day.
- Fill in your lips with your orange lipstick. It will be much easier to do this perfectly on your first try if you’ve already lined your lips. Go slow, and make sure you stay within the borders you’ve created. After you’ve applied your lipstick, blot your lips on a piece of paper to remove any excess product that could eventually wind up on your teeth. Check your handiwork, and you’re all set!
EditChoosing Outfits to Complement Your Lipstick
- Wear orange lipstick with a monochrome outfit. The great thing about this striking lipstick color is that it adds a big pop of color to any outfit, particularly darker outfits. Wearing a black top with black jeans can look pretty plain, but add a pair of orange lips and you instantly make the look brighter and trendier. Whenever you feel like your outfit may be plain, orange lipstick can save the day.
- Pair orange lips with its complementary color. Wearing complementary colors together is a great way to catch eyes and make a statement. With orange lips, this means embracing blue outfits. Play around with the different shades of blue. Orange lips will look striking against everything from sky blue, cobalt blue, royal blue, to even navy blue.
- Play with florals. Orange lipsticks will warm up your complexion, so embrace this warmth with fun florals. Mix and match different floral patterns together for an ultra-trendy look, or pair an orange pout with your favorite spring sundress. Orange can certainly be worn year-round, but its warmth lends itself perfectly to vibrant spring patterns.
EditThings You’ll Need
- Exfoliating lip scrub
- Matte orange lipstick (in desired shade)
- Matching lip liner