Cream cheese goes with almost everything, especially blueberries. This recipe will make a delicious batch of blueberry muffins topped with cream cheese satiate cravings for both, and is much lighter and fluffier than a piece of cheesecake. Read on to make them for yourself!
Recipe serves 18 muffins.
For the muffins:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted unsalted butter cooled at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries
For the cream cheese topping:
- 8 oz (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cold butter
EditMaking the Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the cooled butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and stir well.
- Add the egg and egg whites, and beat them in well.
- Pour in the milk and stir well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the medium bowl gently. It will take around twelve folds to properly mix the batter.
- After the ninth fold, add the blueberries and continue to fold.
- Pour the batter into muffin cups, taking care to fill only 3/4 of the cup.
EditMaking the Cream Cheese Topping
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla and mix until smooth (cream the mixture).
- Portion 1 tbsp of cream cheese topping mixture on top of each muffin cup full of batter.
- Cut in/swirl the cream cheese mixture gently using a butter knife. The cream cheese should not be swirled all the way through the muffin, but just through the top of the muffin.
EditMaking the Streusel Topping
- Combine the brown sugar and flour in another medium-sized bowl.
- Cut butter into the mixture using a pastry knife.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the tops of the muffin batter and cream cheese mix.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious muffins!
EditThings You’ll Need
- Muffin cups
- Muffin tray
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- 2 smaller-sized bowls
- Pastry knife
- Butter knife
- Electric or hand blender
- Rubber spatula
EditSources and Citations
- Permission granted to adapt from Sam, SugarSpunRun: http://sugarspunrun.com/blueberry-cream-cheese-muffins/