Guess Nintendo won’t take all of the blame after all for last month’s Super NES Classic Edition preorder fiasco.
Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé told the Financial Times on Saturday that some of the problem falls on retailers, saying the preordering issues were “outside our control.” It wasn’t clear what Nintendo wanted retailers to do differently. The game maker didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
The console, a smaller version of the classic ’90s Super Nintendo that comes with 21 preloaded games and goes on sale for $80 on Sept. 29, was available for preorder online with virtually no warning three weeks ago.
As a result, retailers including Best Buy, Amazon, Target and Walmart sold out almost instantly. The fiasco left.
However, Fils-Aimé said, there should be plenty of the consoles available for sale later this month.
“I would strongly urge you not to overbid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites,” he said, while attending Variety’s Entertainment and Technology Summit in LA over the weekend. “You shouldn’t [have to] pay more than $79.99.”
Fils-Aimé added it will not be a case of a supply issue, as with last year’s NES Classic Edition. Last year, the $60 console sold out quickly, after selling 2.3 million units, and was discontinued before popping up for as much as.
The Smartest Stuff: Innovators are thinking up new ways to make you, and the things around you, smarter.
Batteries Not Included: The CNET team reminds us why tech is cool.