This wikiHow teaches you how to copy a folder in Google Drive by creating copies of files in a new folder on the Google Drive website or by copying the folder in the Backup and Sync app on your PC or Mac computer. You can also use an Add-On in Google Sheets to make copies of folders on your Google Drive account.
EditCopying Files to a New Folder
- Go to https://drive.google.com in a web browser. If you’re signed in with your Google account, this will load the contents of your Google Drive.
- Click Go to Google Drive and sign in to your Google account if you aren’t logged in automatically.
- Double-click the folder you want to copy. Double-click the folder you want to copy to open it.
- Select all the documents. Scroll to the bottom of the contents of the folder and press on Windows, or press on Mac. This will select all the files in the folder.
- Make sure you have only files selected, and not folders. If you have any folders selected you’ll need to deselect them.
- Right-click on any file and select . This will make a copy of each of the files you selected previously. Each copy will be named with “Copy of…” in front of the original filename.
- On a Mac with a trackpad or a magic mouse, you can click on a folder with two fingers, or you can hold and click instead of performing a right-click.
- Right-click on any of the selected files and click . This opens a pop-up menu.
- Navigate to the location you want to create a new folder. Click the to out of the folder you’re currently in and select the location you want to create the duplicate folder in.
- Click the New Folder icon. It’s the folder icon with a “+” on it in the bottom-right of the pop-up menu.
- Type a new folder name and click . You can name the folder exactly the same as the original folder, or you can name it something different. Clicking the checkmark button creates the new folder with the name you entered.
- Click . This moves the selected files to the new folder you created. Now you have a copy of a folder containing the same files.
EditUsing the Backup & Sync App
- Install Backup & Sync. If you haven’t already, go to https://drive.google.com and download the Backup & Sync app on your Windows or Mac computer:
- Click .
- Click Download Backup & Sync.
- Click Download under “Personal”.
- Click Agree & Continue.
- Sync your Google Drive to your computer. In the Backup & Sync settings, make sure you sync everything in your Google Drive to your computer.
- If you’re syncing your Google Drive to your computer for the first time, you’ll have to wait for the sync to complete which can take some time depending on the size of your Google Drive.
- Go the Google Drive folder on your computer. On Windows, you may have a shortcut to your Google Drive folder on your desktop, otherwise, you can open File Explorer and select Google Drive from the “Quick access” menu on the left. On Mac, you open a new finder window and select Google Drive from the “Favorites” section on the left.
- Select the folder you want to make a copy of. Click the folder you want to make a copy of in your Google Drive folder.
- Copy the folder. On Windows, click the Home tab at the top of the Explorer window and click the Copy button. On Mac, click the Edit menu at the top of your screen and select Copy “Folder”. Or you can use the following keyboard shortcuts:
- On Windows: .
- On Mac: .
- Paste the folder. On Windows, in the Home tab at the top of the Explorer window and click the Paste button. On Mac, click the Edit menu at the top of your screen and select Paste Item. Or you can use the following keyboard shortcuts:
- On Windows: .
- On Mac: .
- Wait for Backup & Sync to sync the new folder. After you create the copied folder on your computer, Backup & Sync will detect the new folder and upload it to your Google Drive.
EditUsing a Google Sheets Add-On
- Go to https://sheets.google.com in a web browser.
- Log in to Google, if you have not already done so.
- Click to open a new blanks spreadsheet.
- Click the . It’s in the menu at the top of the page.
- Click .
- Type in the search bar and press .
- Click next to the “Copy Folder” add-on. It’s the app with a dark blue image, and two light blue folders.
- Click . This installs the add-on to your Google Sheet document.
- Click . It’s in the menu at the top of the page.
- Select . This will connect to your Google Drive account.
- Click .
- Click . This is the option you have to click even though you will be selecting a folder.
- Select the folder you want to copy.
- Click . When folder is finished copying, it will appear in your Google spreadsheet.
- You can enter a prefix or a suffix to appear before or after the copied folder name, to distinguish it from the original.
- Go to your Google Drive. Go to https://drive.google.com in a new browser tab and you will see your newly copied folder.