Whether you are dressing as a hippie for Halloween, heading to an outdoor music festival, or just want to experiment at home, creating a hippie makeup look can be a lot of fun. You may want to go for a minimalist hippie style, or you might want a funky look embellished with glitter, jewels, or flowers. Get in touch with your inner-hippie and create a groovy look fit for a free spirit like you.
EditApplying Foundation and Concealer
- Apply primer to a clean face. Begin with a clean canvas by washing, drying, and moisturizing your face. Then squeeze a dime-sized amount of makeup primer into your hand and move it around. Apply this primer all over your face.
- Primer gently coats your face to create a smooth, even canvas for your makeup. It also helps to keep your makeup in place throughout the day.
- Apply concealer to any blemishes and under your eyes. Hippie girls have bright, clean skin that is free of blemishes and dark circles. Apply a thin layer of concealer over anything on your face that you feel is a blemish, i.e. blotches, circles under the eyes, etc.
- Choose concealer just a little bit lighter than your skin tone, especially if your skin is more oily than dry.
- Cream, crayon, liquid, or pencil concealer all work well. Select the type of product you like best.
- Apply tinted moisturizer all over your face. Apply a dab of tinted moisturizer to each major area of your face: forehead, each cheek, nose, and chin. Then, using a foundation brush or foam sponge, spread the moisturizer across your face until it forms a sheer, even layer.
- Select a moisturizer close to your skin tone for the best match. If you are not sure which color to choose, ask a salesperson to assist you.
- The sheer nature of the pigment should keep your look breezy and natural.
EditDoing Hippie Eye Makeup
- Apply eye primer to your eyelids. Dab a tiny amount of eye primer onto your finger, and smooth it over both eyelids. This will help your eye makeup stay in place. This can be especially helpful if you’ll be at a festival or party!
- Select 2 colors of vivid eyeshadow (1 light and 1 darker). Choose 2 bright eyeshadow colors. Ideally, you want a light and dark version of the same color. Great choices for this look include aqua and teal, pink and fuschia, or lilac and plum.
- Apply the lighter eyeshadow color all over your eyelid. Using an eyeshadow brush, apply the lighter eyeshadow color starting from the upper lashes and going to a little bit above the crease on each eye.
- For example, you could apply a champagne or light peach color all over your lid.
- Apply the darker eyeshadow color to your crease. Use an eyeshadow brush to apply the darker color all along the crease of each eye. Use a blending brush to softly blur the lines of the darker color above and below the crease.
- For example, you could add a darker peach or pale brown to your crease.
- Line the bottoms of each eye with color. Use a slanted brush to draw a line under your bottom lashes with the lighter color eyeshadow you chose. This will help your eyes stand out.
- Apply 2-3 coats of mascara. Finish this look by applying 2-3 coats of mascara to your top lashes. A dark black or brown color mascara will help your eyes stand out. For a really dramatic look, you can add false eyelashes.
- Embellish this look with glitter and jewels. For a really funky look, you’ll want to add some additional flare. Use your finger to apply facial glitter near the outer corners of your eyes. Dab a little bit of glue above the outer edge of each eyebrow, and press 1-3 small gems into the glue.
- You can use body glue or spirit gum to attach gems and other embellishments.
EditFinishing with Cheeks and Lips
- Apply bronzer to your forehead and cheeks (optional). Take a pressed powder bronzer and a fluffy brush and apply small, sweeping amounts of bronzer to your forehead, cheekbones, bridge of your nose, and chin. Make sure to blend when using bronzer. Bronzer will give you a healthy, sun-kissed look.
- You want to use bronzer sparingly because it is darker than your natural skin color.
- Use highlighter to brighten your features. Apply a bit of liquid or powder highlighter under your brow bone, diagonally along your cheekbone, down the bridge of your nose, and on the inner corners of your eyes. Use a makeup sponge or eyeshadow brush to blend the highlighter into your skin.
- To make your lips pop, you can also add a tiny bit of highlighter to your “cupid’s bow,” the indent at the center of your top lip, before applying lipstick or gloss.
- Apply lipstick or lip gloss to your lips. Leave your lips nude or use a nude or soft pink color if you intend to use makeup. After applying, take a paper napkin or towel and press your lips to it a couple times so that the lipstick leaves a “lip stain.” This provides for a more healthy, natural look.
- Draw on embellishments with face paint or eyeliner. Using face paint, face crayons, or eyeliner pencil, you can make this look even more hippied-out by adding flowers, a peace sign, or a paisley design to one of your cheeks. Face paint and crayons can be purchased at most party stores, or simply use the eyeliner colors you have on hand.
EditThings You’ll Need
- Tinted moisturizer
- Eye primer
- Eye shadow
- Liquid eyeliner
- Lipstick or gloss
- Various makeup brushes
- Dress Like a Hippie
- Be a Hippie
- Be a Hippie As a Teen
- Be a Cool Hippie
- Be a Hippie and Love Life
- Make a Hippie Costume for Halloween
- Enhance your hippie look by putting flowers in your hair or wearing a flower crown.
- Braids can also add a breezy carefree vibe to your look.