Skinny jeans are flattering, supportive, and versatile clothes that look great on all body types, including plus size and curvy women. The key to wearing skinny jeans is finding the right pair for your shape and styling them with complementary pieces of clothing. It’s simple and fun to wear skinny jeans year-round as long as you keep these tips in mind!
EditBuying a Pair of Skinny Jeans
- Check with the store to see if they have the style of jeans that you want. Call the store ahead of time to make sure that they carry skinny jeans and that they’re available to try on in your size. If they don’t have the jeans that you like available, some stores can order them to the store for free for you to try on there.
- If a store doesn’t carry the jeans that you like in your size, don’t get discouraged. There are plenty of places that make skinny jeans in plus sizes who will be more than happy to help you find your perfect pair!
- Try on your favorite pairs in the store before buying. The key to finding the right pair of jeans is trying them on in the store before you make a purchase. Walk around and move in the jeans to make sure you have a full range of movement and feel comfortable wearing them.
- You should never feel like the waistband is pressing on your stomach or that the ankle or thigh areas are squeezing you. If you do, ask a store associate to help you adjust your sizing.
- Try on jeans from multiple stores to get the most comfortable pair. Sizing and fit from store to store can vary greatly. Trying on jeans in multiple different stores from different designers will help you understand what jeans make you feel most confident and comfortable.
- When trying on jeans, prioritize aspects like fit and movability over style and embellishments.
- Take your jeans to a tailor for a better fit. For most plus size women, finding the right sizing for jeans can be difficult. A pair that fits in your thighs might be too big around the waist. If you find that’s the case for you, find a pair that fits you well in most places. Then, take the jeans to the tailor to have them adjust the areas that don’t fit as well.
- The tailor can take in the waist of a pair of jeans, adjust the hem, or add extra buttons or zippers for support.
- If you’re petite, a tailor can help make a long pair of jeans fit your shorter stature perfectly.
- Try jogging for more stretch. Many stores carry both skinny jeans and jeggings styles for plus size women. Skinny jeans have less stretch and provide more structure, while jeggings tend to be thinner material and much stretchier. Try on both and decide which you prefer for your personal look.
- Some women prefer to wear longer tops over jeggings because they are normally tighter than traditional skinny jeans.
EditChoosing Your Style
- Select a darker wash for a slimming and sophisticated look. Darker wash jeans tend to be more flattering and versatile for plus size women. Look for pairs with a dark blue or black color that have some lighter portions on the upper thigh.
- Make sure you wash dark jeans before wearing them, as the dyes in the fabric can rub off on your skin or other surfaces that touch the jeans!
- Opt for a pair with some stretch to the fabric. Skinny jeans should mold to your body and provide support where you need it, like the backside and tummy areas. Look for pairs that are 1-4% lycra or spandex, as they will have some stretch but still maintain their shape after washing.
- Jeans with higher percentages of elastic will lose their shape quickly.
- They can also wear out in areas that rub together often, like the thighs.
- Search for styles with mid- to high-rise waist lines for tummy control. A main concern for plus size women is the smoothing and controlling effect of their jeans. Skinny jeans with a higher waist will elongate your legs and slim the tummy area for a better fit.
- High-rise jeans will normally fall above the belly button and provide the most support and tummy control.
- Mid-rise jeans, also known as normal rise, hit right at or just below the belly button and provide less control, but can be more flattering for women with shorter torsos.
- Go for a more edgy look by purchasing “destroyed” jeans. Skinny jeans with holes, tears, or bleach stains are very popular for a rocker-style look. They tend to be more expensive due to their styling, but are sure to make your outfit stand out from the crowd.
- Look for destroyed jeans that are well-constructed. Any holes or tears should look purposeful and still be able to hold up to normal wear and tear.
- If the holes or rips in your jeans tear further after you wear them a few times, contact the store to let them know the situation and ask for a refund.
- Purchase a pair of light wash jeans for a relaxed look. Light wash jeans are a popular for warmer months because they pair well with brighter colors. Look for more relaxed fits in light jeans because they tend to be less forgiving of bumps and curves than darker washes.
- Boyfriend-style light wash skinny jeans tend to be looser and can be cuffed at the ankles for a more relaxed and effortless style.
- Look for unique fabrics and embellishments. You don’t have to confine yourself to just denim when looking for skinny jeans. There are plenty of other fabric options like leather, suede, or a mix of different fabrics. Try on any style that interests you!
- Be aware that different fabrics will have a different fit. Leather and suede tend to have less stretch than traditional denim, so you might need to adjust your sizing to get the perfect fit!
EditStyling Skinny Jeans
- Wearing slimming undergarments for a better fit and smoother look. Women of all sizes wear shapewear under their clothes to improve the fit and give themselves a more flattering shape in their clothing. With skinny jeans, opt for a pair of undergarments that stretches up the stomach area and reaches down to the mid-thigh.
- Shapewear should be snug but not constricting. Trying on the jeans with shapewear before you buy will help you see areas where you might experience bunching or rolling of your undergarments.
- Avoid embarrassing hemlines showing through the fabric of your jeans by selecting shapewear with “invisible” hems.
- Wear solid colored tops in bold colors with fun accents. Skinny jeans create a very defined silhouette, and you can create a proportional look with a solid shirt on top. Accents like beaded necklines, tassels along the hem, or ruffled sleeves can complement your look and add an interesting feature to your outfit.
- Tops with bold or graphic patterns can make you look top-heavy and clash with your jeans. Avoid animal print, diagonal stripes, or multicolored prints.
- Add interest and balance to your outfit with fun shoes. When wearing skinny jeans, your calves and thighs will be more defined. Wear strappy sandals, brightly colored pumps, or pointed-toe stilettos to balance the bottom of your outfit with the rest of your body.
- A great way to create balance is by matching the color of your shirt to your shoes, which can create a simple professional look.
- Pair a plain t-shirt and a light scarf with skinny jeans for a relaxed look. On days where you’re busy and need a quick and cute outfit, skinny jeans are a great option! Choose a brightly-colored printed scarf and tennis shoes or flats to round out your look.
- Throw on a long duster or sweater to tie the outfit together and for added warmth in the cooler months.
- Wear cropped skinny jeans with heels to elongate the leg. For shorter plus size women, cropped skinny jeans can be a better fitting options. You can elongate your legs to appear taller by wearing heels or wedges that complement your outfit.
- The ankle area also tends to be the slimmest part of the body, so you can draw attention to this area by showing some skin and choosing a funky shoe.
- Always wear what makes you feel most comfortable and confident! If something doesn’t fit correctly, return it for a different size or pick an item that you like better.