This wikiHow teaches you how to play an audio file at a faster playback rate on your computer. You can use VLC media player on Windows and Quicktime Player on Mac.
- Download and install VLC media player on your computer. VLC is a free and open-source media player app for a variety of audio and video file formats.
- You can download VLC media player for Windows here .
- Find and right-click the audio file you want to speed up. This will open your file options on the right-click menu.
- Hover over the option on the right-click menu. A list of recommended apps will pop up on a sub-menu.
- Select on the list. This will open the selected audio file in VLC.
- If you don’t see VLC on the Open with menu, click Choose another app at the bottom, and select VLC here.
- Click the tab at the top. This button is located between Media and Audio tabs in the upper-left corner of the VLC window. It will open a drop-down menu.
- Hover over on the Playback menu. Your speed options will pop up on a new sub-menu. You can select any speed option to speed up or slow down your audio file.
- Select on the Speed menu. This will speed up your playback rate, and play your audio file faster.
- Alternatively, you can also slow down your song by selecting Slower here.
- Open a Finder window. Double-click on any folder on your computer to open a new Finder window, and navigate your files.
- Alternatively, you can click the blue smiley face icon on the Dock to open Finder.
- Find the audio file you want to speed up. Browse your files in Finder, and locate the song you want to play.
- Right-click the audio file. This will open all the file options on your right-click menu.
- Alternatively, you can hold and click the file or click on it with two fingers on trackpad.
- Hover over on the right-click menu. This will show you a list of recommended apps to open the selected file.
- Select on the Open With menu. This will open the selected song in QuickTime Player.
- Hold or on your keyboard. This button is located in the lower-left corner of your keyboard.
- Click the Fast Forward button. While holding down or , click the Fast Forward icon. This will speed up and play the song at a higher playback speed.
- The Fast Forward icon looks like two rightward arrows next to the button. Your current speed will be displayed next to it.
- If you click Fast Forward again while pressing , your playback speed will keep increasing by small increments.
- Alternatively, you can hold and click the Fast Forward button. This will speed up the song by larger increments.