Do you daydream about dressing like the models you see on the catwalk and in magazines? You don’t have to become a model to resemble their style. Anyone can dress like a model regardless of their shape, size, or looks. To dress like a model, choose the right outfit, pick out accessories, and adopt the model attitude.
EditChoosing the Right Outfit
- Find a person or style to inspire you. You don’t want to be exactly like one certain model, but using a specific model (or models) is a great way to get inspiration and develop a style plate for your own wardrobe. Some models that you could draw inspiration from are Kate Moss, Ashley Graham, Iman, and Shaun Ross.
- Go to public runways. Around fashion week, there are sometimes a public runway, so everybody can see the newest trends. Fashion weeks for women are held in February and September/October. Fashion weeks for men are held in January and June/July.
- Wear a basic outfit to present yourself as a blank canvas. Models often go for a simple and clean look. This is because model scouts and agents like the blank canvas look. A simple look usually means that there aren’t a lot of wild designs, colors, or accessories. Choose simple designs with muted colors. A classic basic outfit is an all-black or an all-white outfit.
- A simple black outfit may include a black blazer, black T-shirt (crew or V-neck), and black skinny jeans.
- For something more feminine, try a simple straight-cut dress with 3/4-length sleeves, and minimal seams.
- Another example of a basic outfit could be light denim skinny jeans with a basic white T-shirt and a pastel cardigan.
- Get a fitted jacket to use as a versatile addition to your wardrobe. A fitted jacket is a staple of a model’s wardrobe because it can be dressed up or down. Look for a jacket that is high-quality and fits you very well. The material you choose doesn’t matter, but a fitted leather jacket is common.*If you can’t find a jacket that fits perfectly, consider taking it to a tailor.
- For an edgy look, try a black mini skirt, a black tank top, and a fitted black crop jacket. Finish the look with tall, black boots.
- For a tomboy look, try long black shorts that come down to your knees and a black T-shirt. Wear a fitted, black leather jacket over that.
- For a chic look, try navy blue pencil slacks, a black T-shirt, and a fitted, black blazer. Finish the look with your choice of shoes, such as black sneakers, converse, or oxfords.
- Try skinny jeans if you want to show off your body shape. For example, if you want to lengthen your legs or show off your ankle, pair cropped skinny jeans with ankle boots. Light-colored skinny jeans will look more casual, but black skinny jeans can be dressed up or down depending on the accessories.
- For a casual look, pair black skinny jeans with a black blouse and black high-top converse. Finish the look with a brightly-colored blazer or plaid shirt. Leave the blazer or plaid shirt open.
- If you like to layer your clothes, try black skinny jeans with colorful sneakers and a blouse of some sort. Layer on a cardigan and overcoat, along with a scarf or two.
- For a dressier look, try black skinny jeans with a nice blouse and cardigan in a contrasting color. Finish the look with a silk scarf, a handbag, and black ankle boots.
- Wear layers if you desire something more chic. Mix-and-match fitted garments and loose garments, such as a loose cardigan over a fitted tank top. If you wear too many loose layers, you’ll look bulky; if you wear too many fitted layers, your silhouette will look too mundane.
- Mix-and-match textures. Try a black meshy blouse over a white, silk blouse. Finish the look with a black chiffon vest and a black leather blazer.
- Play around with length. Wear a lacy, white blouse over a tank top of your choosing. Put a knee-length white cardigan over that. Finish the look with a hip-length jacket or blazer in army green.
- Play with pattern and color. Wear a cable-knit sweater over a long, striped shirt. Top it off with a hip-length plaid coat and a brightly colored skirt. If it’s chilly, add leggings and a skirt.
- Mix prints if you want to go bold. Fashion is all about experimentation, so mixing prints is encouraged. For instance, wear striped pants with a polka dot shirt and animal print sweater. Another example of mixing prints is wearing a shirt with pineapples, a plaid cardigan, and striped pants.
- Pair bold prints with solid colors. Try a long, blouse with a bright, geometric print over a black mini skirt of black skinny jeans. Finish the look with black ankle boots and a black blazer or jacket.
- Mix-and-match pints of you are feeling bold. Wear baggy pants and jackets in matching or similar prints; they can be the same color or different ones. Add a solid-colored tank top and shoes.
- Play around with dresses in bold prints. Try a bright floral print, or a black-and-white geometric print. Finish the outfit with shoes that match the background of the print and some jewelry.
EditPicking Out Accessories
- Pick a pair of high heels if you want something versatile. They can make you appear taller, slimmer, and give you better posture. Keep in mind that high heels are hard on your body, especially if worn for long periods of time. Only wear them if they are not painful to you.
- A pair of black stilettos can go with a variety of outfits, from skinny jeans to little black dresses. They give off the model vibe the most.
- You can also wear heels like wedges and platforms. Make yourself look more model-like by paying attention to the rest of your clothing.
- Wear flat or boots if heels are too painful for you. You don’t have to exclusively wear high heels to be a model, especially if feminine fashion is not for you. A single pair of flats is not very versatile, because it won’t go with every outfit. Luckily, there are lots of different styles to choose from.
- Some other examples of flats are ballet flats, moccasins,
- For a feminine or boho look, try ballet flats or moccasins. They go well with flowy blouses and dresses.
- For a chic look, try loafers, tennis shoes, or oxfords. They go well with blazers.
- For a masculine or tomboy look, try Doctor Martens or any other type of lace-up boots.
- Put on sunglasses if you want to look more stylish. Not only will they make you look more stylish, but they will also protect your eyes from the sun’s harsh rays. You don’t have to purchase expensive designer sunglasses either. Basic styles to consider include:
- Bring a handbag if you like to carry purses. A handbag is a great way to complete any outfit. Ideally, it should match the color of your outfit; if you are wearing a print, then match it to the background color. Alternatively, you can try a neutral color, such as black or white.
- Silver or gold are great neutral colors as well, and go well with most other colors.
- If you prefer backpacks, look for a simple leather backpack instead.
- You can also carry a tote bag or a purse in a fun shape (like lips or a spaceship).
- Wear quirky socks to liven up a simple outfit. Quirky socks work best when they can be seen. For example, wear them with cropped skinny jeans or a skirt. You can wear socks with unexpected things on them, like breakfast foods, or choose a funky, bright pattern.
- The socks don’t have to have patterns, you can also wear socks with lace ruffles in a variety of colors.
- You can also wear quirky socks with sandal heels.
- Make sure that the socks are visible. For example, if you are wearing converse and quirky socks, choose a pair of cropped pants so that you can see part of the socks.
EditAdopting the Model Attitude
- Stand up straight. Good posture is not only good for your back, but it also makes you appear confident. Walk with your shoulders pressed down and back. When you sit, maintain good posture. Sit with your ankles crossed, or your feet parallel to each other on the ground.
- Some outfits help with posture, such as bodices and corsets. Fitted blazers and vests may also help.
- Avoid wearing heavy bags, as they can affect your posture.
- Be healthy. Maintaining good health is great for your body, and it will help add to your model appearance. However, remember, that you don’t need to be a size zero to look beautiful. Simply take care of yourself. Hit the gym two or three times a week. Eat healthily. Take Care of Your skin, and drink plenty of water.
- Instead of going to the gym, you can follow videos on YouTube for yoga at home or take a jog outside.
- Invest in a good cleanser, day and night moisturizer, and sunscreen. Ask a skincare consultant at your local beauty shop for advice for your specific type of skin.
- Build self-confidence. This is a crucial step when dressing like a model. It’s important to know that you look and feel good in what you are wearing, whether it’s high-end fashion or a bargain bin find.
- If you feel you look great in something, then you will look great.
- Another way to build self-confidence is to stop caring what others think of you.
- Be bold. Being a model isn’t always about following the trends, it’s about showing off what you think looks good. Don’t be afraid to take a chance on wearing an outfit that you think is not trendy. Showing off what you enjoy wearing can inspire others to do the same.
- This goes hand-in-hand with confidence. If you are going to dress and act bold, then you will need to have some confidence too.
- Be creative in the style you want. Being a model is about being confident and bold. Wear what you love and be who you are.
- If you feel that none of the magazine styles are working for you, experiment! Get different clothes and accessories, and see what looks best on you.
- Models try different unique styles because of their confidence. They always choose comfortable, but eye-catching pieces that celebrate their body.
- Dressing like a model should have nothing to do with size. Don’t feel like you need to alter your weight in order to dress like a model.
- Be Stylish
- Compete in a Modeling Competition
- Look Like a Model
- Become a Plus Size Model
- Walk Like a Catwalk Model
- Become a Child Model